Analysing Taglines From Rom-Com Posters
In this post I will be looking at some examples of taglines from existing rom-coms as I will need to create one for my poster and to use in my trailers:
1. '10 Things I Hate About You'Tagline - 'How do I loathe thee? let me count the ways'. 'Romeo, oh Romeo, get out of my face'.

2. 'Notting Hill'
Tagline - 'Can the most famous film star in the world fall for the man on the street?'

4. 'Bridget Jones’s Diary'
Tagline - 'All women keep score.... Only the great ones put it in writing'.

After Looking at a few taglines, there are a few common things they share that make them work for romantic comedies:
1. Focus on Romance/Relationships – All the taglines hint at love or romantic tension: crushes, mismatched couples, trying to win someone over, or rediscovering love.
2. Playful or Humorous Tone – They’re not serious or dramatic; they use wit or cheekiness to signal comedy:
- “Romeo, oh Romeo, get out of my face” is a funny twist on Shakespeare.
- “All women keep score… Only the great ones put it in writing” is playful and self-aware.
- 'Notting Hill': a famous celebrity vs. an ordinary guy.
- 'How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days': both characters are lying.
- '10 Things I Hate About You': a mix of love and frustration.
Overall these taglines all signal romance, humour, highlight conflict, and give a taste of character personality, which is exactly what a rom-com poster needs to do.




Comments
Post a Comment